Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Passion

pas·sion:

  • · a strong or extravagant fondness, enthusiasm, or desire for anything: a passion for music
  • · The object of such a fondness or desire: Accuracy became a passion with him.

It’s almost Valentine’s Day! It’s great to share your life with someone you love. It’s also great to spend your life doing work that you love. Work that you are passionate about.

But what if the job you’re in right now no longer excites you? Thank back to the way you felt when you first started. What about the job excited you then? How has that changed? How have YOU changed?

Experts tell us that if you want to identify your passion to think of what activity or work project you do where you lose track of time. Where you forget to eat. What activity do you get lost in? Chances are that this type activity or project is (or is at least connected to) your passion.

Recently I was looking at my own business of speaking, training and writing. I realized that in the past few years, during which I had a major life-changing personal tragedy, I’d lost the passion for my work. As I re-evaluated my work life I noticed that when some projects came along I jumped right in while other projects waited. I thought about what those projects had in common. All of them involved writing. It was easy to see that I am now more passionate about writing than other aspects of my business. Then the writing often renews my desire to speak or conduct training programs. It was easy to make slight adjustments to my business to focus more on writing and get more projects that were writing based. The result is that I’m now more excited and passionate about my business than I have been in years.

What adjustments can you make to your business or job that will reignite your passion?

No comments:

Post a Comment